About Our Community - Groveton
Groveton, the county seat of Trinity County is located at the intersection of State Highway 94 and U.S. Highway 287, near the center of the county. The Trinity County Courthouse, built in 1914, is a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United State Department of the Interior. The community established in 1881 as Grovetown, but changed the name to Groveton and incorporated in 1919.
Groveton is a rural community of approximately 1000 residents located in the piney woods of East Texas. Highway 59 is eighteen miles east and Interstate 45 is forty-one miles southwest of our community. Trinity County is the destination of many retirees seeking the slow pace and reduced living expense of a rural community. When required, large city services are available in Houston, 100 miles to the south and Lufkin, 32 miles to the north. Recreational activities are in abundance due to the close proximity of the Davy Crockett National Forest, Lake Livingston, and Sam Rayburn Reservoir.
Historic sites abound such as our courthouse built in 1914, our still in operation stone jail built in 1930, and five miles east of Groveton the location of Sumpter, the first county seat of Trinity County and the then residence of John Wesley Hardin. Community activities include the lighting of the courthouse at Christmas, Bear Chase Marathon, and the Trinity County Fair and Youth Livestock Show in March. Guests to our area may view migrating neo-tropical birds, enjoy our wildflower show each spring and engage in other activities such as fishing, boating, skiing, camping, swimming, canoeing or just relax while in our tranquil part of the world.
Groveton has an excellent rated school district recognized for its record in academics as well as its three times state football champions, the Groveton Indians. Churches of various denominations, along with civic organizations, enhance the quality of life in our community.